Injured All Black Cruden faces World Cup agony

first_imgAll Blacks flyhalf Aaron Cruden is almost certain to miss the World Cup after scans on Monday revealed the need for knee surgery that will sideline him for at least six months.The 26-year-old, who has played 37 tests for New Zealand, injured his left knee in the first half of Waikato Chiefs’ 26-9 Super Rugby victory over Canterbury Crusaders on Friday.“Aaron Cruden has ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament on his left knee. He will see a surgeon on Wednesday to arrange a knee reconstruction in the coming weeks,” the Chiefs said in a statement on Monday.“Traditional reconstruction surgery has been deemed to be the most appropriate given Aaron’s young age and long-term career prospects. The expected return to play time for this sort of surgery is six months.”That recuperation schedule rules him out of the rest of the Super Rugby season and makes it almost certain that he will play no part in the Sept. 18-Oct. 31 World Cup in England.Cruden was initially left out of the squad for New Zealand’s triumphant World Cup campaign on home soil four years ago but drafted in after Dan Carter suffered a groin injury.A subsequent injury to Colin Slade saw him claim the number 10 jersey for the semi-final and final and he played the first half an hour of the title decider against France before suffering another knee injury.Carter and Slade remain options at flyhalf for New Zealand, as does in-form Wellington Hurricanes playmaker Beauden Barrett, but the loss of Cruden is a big blow to coach Steve Hansen.Cruden started eight tests last year while Carter enjoyed a sabbatical and Hansen will not have forgotten that the All Blacks finished the 2011 campaign with fourth choice Stephen Donald in the pivot role.“It’s obviously hugely disappointing for Crudes and we will be supporting him as he goes through this tough time,” Hansen said.“He has developed into a very good test All Black and is a key member of our team. He will be a loss for the Chiefs and the All Blacks.“As we know in the game of rugby, there are always going to be injuries and as selectors we plan for these unfortunate events and are constantly looking to build depth in all positions across the team.”last_img read more

Late Copenhagen strike breaks APOEL hearts

first_imgAPOEL were eliminated from the Champions League in heartbreaking fashion after a late equaliser from FC Copenhagen in Nicosia on Wednesday night sent the Danes through to the group stage.Thomas Christiansen’s side had managed to cancel out Copenhagen’s 1-0 lead from the first leg through Pieros Sotiriou on 70 minutes, but Federico Santander’s 86th minute strike sees the Cypriot champions knocked out at the same stage of the competition as last year.An expectant crowd turned up in an attempt to push their side to victory, but it was the visitors who looked more at home as they dominated the early exchanges.Copenhagen went close after just nine minutes, as Santander headed on a lofted ball to strike partner Andreas Cornelius who connected well with his left foot which needed to be deflected wide by Boy Waterman in the APOEL goal.Six minutes before the break, defender Erik Johansson peeled off his marker to win a header at the near post but Waterman again reacted well to tip over the bar.Just as in the first period, it was the visitors who started the second half brighter, as Cornelius got in front of Nektarios Alexandrou at the far post but guided his header wide. Vander’s introduction on the hour mark seemed to give the Cypriots a much-needed boost. And despite not showing any attacking threat throughout the game, APOEL got the breakthrough they perhaps did not deserve after 70 minutes. Sotiriou showed more determination than Johansson to set himself up for a one-on-one chance, before striking the ball low and hard through keeper Olsen’s legs to level the tie.But just as the game looked to be heading to extra time, Copenhagen would exact revenge for the 2009 meeting between the two. A scramble in the area saw the ball fall at the feet of Santander who shaped up to cross, tempting Waterman to leave his line early, which left space at the near post for his strike to find the unguarded net.And although APOEL scored three in injury time against Rosenborg in the previous round, there would be no such heroics this time. The Cypriots’ continental campaign is not over however, as they will continue in the group stage of the Europa League.last_img read more

Jarryd Hayne named in San Francisco 49ers’ final 53-man squad for 2015/16 NFL season

first_imgPlaying primarily as a running back and punt returner, Hayne made the cut after a slew of impressive performances in the preseason that saw him finish with the second-most rushing yards of any player in the league.The former NRL star made the first cut on Tuesday, when the squad was reduced from 85 to 75, and is now a member of one of the most storied franchises in NFL history.Hayne announced he had made the squad via Twitter, 24 minutes after the 6am AEST deadline for final roster submissions had passed.”It always works out! Thank God for what he has done and going to do on this incredible journey!! I’m on the 53-man roster for the 49ers,” Hayne tweeted.San Francisco coach Jim Tomsula called Hayne a unique, world class athlete who defied incredible odds to make it to the NFL.”It’s a tremendous achievement,” Tomsula said to reporters on a conference call.”I think that’s why people are so enamoured.”He’s by no means a finished product.”But the type of person he is and the approach he has taken, he’s the kind of player we want here.”Tomsula refused to comment on whether Hayne would make the 46-man squad for the side’s first NFL game of the season.San Francisco opens its season at Levi’s Stadium on September 15 (AEST) against the Minnesota Vikings.Hayne went sightseeing around San Francisco with his mother Jodie and sisters Jessi-Lee and Taygan while waiting to hear his fate from the 49ers.”This whole journey was never about being on a roster,” he said.”It was about getting my opportunities.When he received the text message confirming he had made the cut, Hayne admitted he got emotional.”He confirmed it and I was obviously over the moon,” he said.”I start getting paid some real money which is pretty good,” he joked.The final squad was confirmed on the 49ers’ official website, which announced the names of the 14 players who were released, plus the acquisition of center Nick Easton from the Baltimore Ravens.The franchise also placed tight end Busta Anderson and running back Kendall Hunter on the Injured Reserve list.The 49ers have five Super Bowl trophies in their cabinet, the second-best tally of any team in the league, with the most recent coming in 1995.last_img read more

Mourinho I miss Rooney a lot

first_imgPhoto: Getty Images Jose Mourinho and Wayne Rooney Rooney, 31, made his return to Everton earlier this month, ending a trophy-laden 13-season stay at Old Trafford.United and England’s all-time leading goalscorer, Rooney made just 15 Premier League starts in 2016-17.But Mourinho is already missing the forward and said he would be tough to replace.”I miss him a lot, I miss the guy a lot, I think he’s a fantastic guy,” the Portuguese tactician said, via The Telegraph.”I’m not the kind of guy that gets normally emotional in my job and I did it with him when he left, but I am sure that he’s going to be very good for Everton, and Everton is going to be very good for him.”Wayne was a very positive influence. We cannot say we are going to improve the group because Wayne left. No way, or the other way around.”He was such an important guy and a good guy for us. I just think it is a new period without that face, without that leader, without that good influence on us.”Sandro assistRooney goal @WayneRooney puts #EFC ahead! 1-0#EvertonLive: https://t.co/m1rIpwvD9C pic.twitter.com/DOMiSZlVF4— Everton (@Everton) July 22, 2017Rooney signed a two-year deal at Everton, the club he left to join United in 2004.While Mourinho wanted to keep the England international, he said Rooney deserved the respect of being allowed to decide his future.”It was not difficult because he deserves that it’s not difficult,” Mourinho said.”He deserves what he got and what he got was our desire for him to stay and our respect by letting it be completely clear that we would like him to stay.”And at the same time the respect that allows him to be happy, allow him to try to play every game, every minute which honestly I think he needs.”At his age I think with his genetic, with his body he’s not the kind of – I think with his personality too, I don’t think he’s the kind of player to be less motivated, not so happy because he’s not playing every minute.”last_img read more

Federer beats Alexander Zverev 6-1, 6-3 for 9th Halle title

first_imgMarcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ 7 NPA members surrender in Isabela province Switzerland’s Roger Federer celebrates his victory in the final match against Germany’s Alexander Zverev at the Gerry Weber Open tennis tournament in Halle, Germany, Sunday, June 25, 2017. (Photo by FRISO GENTSCH / dpa via AP)HALLE, Germany — Roger Federer defeated Germany’s Alexander Zverev 6-1, 6-3 to win the Gerry Weber Open for the ninth time on Sunday.Playing in his 140th career final, Federer saved the only break point he faced and converted four of his eight opportunities to clinch his 92nd career title in 53 minutes.ADVERTISEMENT For Ina, portraying a zombie is like an ‘out-of-body experience’ Gerald: Just because I’ve been bashed doesn’t mean I’d stop working A dream fulfilled for Christian Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnSPORTSBreak new ground Bolick thanks La Salle for giving San Beda ‘good fight’ in Filoil finals LATEST STORIEScenter_img Missile-capable frigate BRP Jose Rizal inches closer to entering PH Navy’s fleet Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Swing Out Sister back to PH this April View commentslast_img read more

Arocha wants to go out in style

first_img‘People evacuated on their own’ ‘People evacuated on their own’ Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netIt may only be the first game of the season, but Arellano’s Regine Anne Arocha made sure she gave it her usual, all-heart performance just the same.After all, there won’t be another season for the Lady Chiefs’ clutch player.ADVERTISEMENT Lava gushes out of Taal Volcano as villagers flee Air quality in NCR now improving after Taal ashfall LATEST STORIES Spain scrapes into ATP Cup semis despite Rafael Nadal defeat More than 40 quakes hound areas reeling from Taal Volcano’s eruption View comments US stocks climb ahead of trade deal, sending S&P 500 to record high MOST READ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown01:54MMDA deploys rescue team to Batangas following Taal eruption Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I feel excited, but at the same time sad because this is my last [season],” Arocha said in Filipino. She is graduating with a business administration degree this semester.“But I feel confident because my teammates all got the individual skills and winning character,” Arocha added.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSAndray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai SottoSPORTSBig differenceSPORTSAlmazan status stays uncertain ahead of Game 4On Friday, the 5-foot-5 open spiker scored 18 points and provided a lot of morale boost as Arellano bucked opening-day jitters to defeat Lyceum, 27-25, 25-20, 25-20, at the start of the NCAA women’s volleyball tournament at Filoil Flying V Centre.“If Regine decides to take up law [and extend her playing years], nobody could beat her because she just refuses to lose,” said Arellano coach Obet Javier in Filipino. It’s saying something coming from the reticent mentor who has steered the Lady Chiefs to four championships in five seasons, including three consecutive titles.“I told the players who are graduating: Make sure your last playing year counts,” Javier added.Arellano is also set to lose Mikaela Juanich after this season.“So far, if I’m going to assess our team, we are still not in the four-peat level,” Javier said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientist Pagasa sees cloudy skies, scattered rain showers in volcanic eruption-hit areaslast_img read more

Over 200 new recruits selected for Police training

first_imgThe Guyana Police Force (GPF) has started training over 200 new recruits as part of its drive to strengthen its capacity.The Guyana Police Force (GPF) has started training over 200 new recruits as part of its drive to strengthen its capacityThe recruits were selected from across Guyana and will undergo intense training, which will encompass all aspects of theoretical policing along with stringent physical evaluations during a four-month period.The training will take place at the Felix Austin Police College at Eve Leary, Georgetown; Richard Faikall Training School in Essequibo and Felix Austin Police College in Berbice.During this time, recruits from various Regions will be placed in foreign environments in an effort to familiarise them with the different aspects of policing diverse communities across Guyana.According to the Police, this is being done as the Force seeks to reinforce its mission statement to serve the country “in a professional, proactive and accountable manner” in order to build “a safer and secure Guyana”.Last year, Police Commissioner Seelall Persaud told Guyana Times that the Force was currently short of some 1500 ranks, citing the limited training capacity.He explained that the Force conducted two residential training sessions (six months each) annually, but these can only facilitate a limited number of 330 persons. Persaud added that this course was essential for all recruits as it moulded them, instilling in them the necessary values and morals required of a Police Officer.Nevertheless, he disclosed that there were some 1000 applicants on the waiting list for the training programme. He pointed out that these persons have already completed and passed entrance exams.Meanwhile, two weeks ago, the Force graduated over 200 recruits from the Felix Austin Police College.last_img read more

Tottenham’s team v Chelsea if Lamela is unfit? – Possible XI for PL clash

first_img 11 5. Jan Vertonghen (centre back) 2. Kyle Walker (right back) 19. Mousa Dembele (central attack) 1. Hugo Lloris (goalkeeper) – click the arrow above, right, to see the possible Tottenham line-up against Chelsea in squad number order 11 3. Danny Rose (left back) 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 7. Heung-min Son (wide forward) 15. Eric Dier (midfield) 10. Harry Kane (striker) 8. Ryan Mason (midfield) 11 11 Tottenham v Chelsea is live on talkSPORT at 12pm (GMT) on Sunday 29 NovemberHaving made it back from Baku in Azerbaijan on Friday following a 1-0 Europa League win, Spurs host Chelsea at White Hart Lane.A strong squad made the trip, though midfielder Dele Alli is suspended for the Blues’ visit.In addition, Erik Lamela missed the midweek win and so if the in form Argentine is again unavailable, is this how Tottenham will line up against their London rivals?PREDICTED CHELSEA LINE UP HEREClick the arrow above, right, to see the predicted line up. 4. Toby Alderweireld (centre back) 23. Christian Eriksen (wide attacker)last_img read more

Jamie Carragher: Mamadou Sakho has let HIMSELF and LIVERPOOL down

first_img Mamadou Sakho: The French defender is currently subject to a UEFA investigation 1 Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho has “let himself and his club down badly” with his failed drugs test, according to former Reds centre-back Jamie Carragher.UEFA is currently investigating a possible anti-doping violation by Sakho, who failed a drugs test after Liverpool’s Europa League second-leg tie at Manchester United last month.It is understood the failed test is associated with a fat-burning supplement and Sakho, who was pulled out of Saturday’s game against Newcastle but has not been suspended either by Liverpool or UEFA, now faces an anxious wait to see whether he will receive a playing ban.The France international is likely to ask for his B sample to be tested, with the deadline for that request set for Tuesday.Carragher, whose one-club playing career came to an end with his retirement in 2013, told Sky Sports on Monday: “It’s a nightmare for the player.“I think he’s let himself and his club down badly, because he was becoming a really important player for Liverpool.“There are serious questions to be asked of him.“He’s had a great campaign. He’s one of the leaders of the team now. You think of the Borussia Dortmund game, the Manchester United games especially, how well he played in those. It’s now how Liverpool fill that void.“But for a professional footballer – or any sportsman, really – it’s not acceptable.”READ MORE: Liverpoool defender Mamadou Sakho faces ‘tough road ahead’ after failing drug test, says Kolo Tourelast_img read more

‘I feel like I don’t exist’ – Leicester City target speaks out over PSG exile

first_img1 Former Newcastle and Hull City star Hatem Ben Arfa has been left to feel like he “doesn’t exist” at current club Paris Saint-Germain.The 30-year-old has been frozen out by Unai Emery and he is yet to feature for the French giants this season.Ben Arfa had been linked with a surprise return to the Premier League with Leicester City earlier this month but, so far at least, the midfielder remains out in the cold at PSG.And in a frank interview with French football magazine, So Foot, Ben Arfa spoke of his exile at the French giants and his hopes of one day returning to regular first-team action.“What I am going through at PSG is very complicated, I feel like I don’t exist,” Ben Arfa said.“You have to understand how to live like that. One day, my life as a footballer will stop, there will be more difficult hurdles to overcome, like illness.“But to learn how to longer exist when you felt that you existed with what you did before, it is hard. This suffering, I am taking it as an apprenticeship for the theatre of society where all comes to an end one day.” Hatem Ben Arfa last_img read more